Friday, November 07, 2008

Steps to Deal With Citibank

Whew! I didn't realize it had been so long. I must have gotten so fired up after my debt payments celebratory post...

Well tonight I'm tellin' on myself. I have an outstanding $236 balance w/Citibank. Now I've been getting mail from a collection agency. Because I was traveling and didn't open the mail, I answered after 30 days. I was new to the idea of validation, so that wasn't my first thought.
I called them and let them know what payment arrangements I would make. I received a letter from another rep the following week offering me a better deal. Since then, and I'm talking eight months ago, I've received letters offering me various deals by mail. "Make three payments totaling $107. Because it's tax season we're going to offer you to pay only half", you get my drift. Hmm...I'm just a little suspicious. When are collectors so nice? Also after one or two unreturned phone calls they stopped calling.

Tell you what! Since I haven't pulled my credit report in a while that'll be my first step. If the debt is not listed I'll send them a validation letter. If they are I'll make steps to pay them so it can be removed from my report. God! I've felt like such an idiot on this. Also I'll go to creditboards.com for more info.

Whew!! Now that wasn't as bad as I thought.

No comments: